Course History

  • James River
    • James River

      The James River Course first opened on June 30, 1928 as the combination
      of two nines from separate golf courses designed by noted golf architect
      William Flynn. This masterful combination became a fine championship
      course hosting numerous tournaments including the 1955 and 1975 USGA
      Men’s Amateur Championships. Harvey Ward became champion in 1955 and
      Fred Ridley in 1975. Carved among trees and hills with strategically placed
      bunkers and challenging greens, the course was renovated in 1992 by Rees
      Jones and restored in 2003 by Lester George. George converted the fourth
      hole into a dramatic par three featuring a much smaller putting surface and
      a creek that flows into a greenside lake. Otherwise, the original character
      of the course has been kept intact with only subtle strategic improvements.
      Golf Digest recognized the course as one of America’s best newly remodeled
      courses of 2005 and among the best in the state for 2007–2008.
  • Tuckahoe Creek
    • Tuckahoe Creek

      The Tuckahoe Creek Course was designed by Joseph Lee and opened on
      April 15, 1988. Once an old farmstead, this large parcel of land encompasses
      over 240 acres and was part of Thomas Jefferson’s boyhood home when he
      resided at Tuckahoe Plantation. The maintenance building was once owned
      by John Wickham, a lawyer who defended Aaron Burr in his trial for treason.
      At one time the Old Gayton Coal Mine Railroad, which crossed the 2nd and
      17th holes, delivered coal to barges waiting in the Kanawha Canal. Remnants
      of the old canal and railroad can still be found. The Tuckahoe Creek has 76
      bunkers and seven lakes and a creek that affect play throughout the course.
      Accurate iron play and a smooth putting stroke are required to negotiate the
      large, undulating greens.
  • Westhampton
    • Westhampton

      Westhampton is the oldest of our three golf courses, having opened on
      June 18, 1910. Originally designed by Herbert Barker, renowned golf course
      architect Donald Ross redesigned the layout in 1920. The third nine, known
      as the “Goat Course,” was named for its hilly layout. The “Goat Course” was
      later replaced by what is now the practice range and first hole. Notable golfers
      such as Harry Vardon, Ted Ray, Bobby Jones and others have enjoyed this
      challenging layout. Westhampton possesses gently rolling fairways carved
      out of majestic pine and oak forests. The small, sloping greens can make
      putting difficult, especially from above the pin. Westhampton provides a
      challenge for the expert player and an enjoyable experience for golfers of
      any skill level. A dramatic renovation was completed by Lester George in
      2005 that has restored many Donald Ross features as well as provided for
      improved playing conditions and an upgraded practice facility. Each fall the
      Westhampton Course is the host site for the Senior Open of Virginia.